Zeiss 18mm super wide-angle introduced in Pentax and Nikon mounts
Carl Zeiss today expanded their range of SLR lenses with the addition of the Distagon T* 3.5/18 super wide angle lens. With an impressive field of view of 99°, this new, rectilinear lens provides dramatic perspectives for architectural, landscape and close-range photography for photographers utilizing full-frame DSLRs or film-based cameras. The Distagon T* 3.5/18 is a derivative of the Zeiss designs for the Contax RTS series of cameras, but utilising all modern materials and eco-friendly glass materials.
The Distagon T* 3.5/18 is designed with a floating lens element in the rear lens assembly, which results in impressive image quality from infinity to the closest focus range. Utilizing the superior Zeiss T* anti-reflective coating and critically designed interior elements, the lens is remarkably free from stray light artifacts and internal reflections. Images are brilliantly rendered, with extremely crisp resolution right to the edges – even at wide-open apertures under the most difficult lighting conditions. Like all Carl Zeiss SLR lenses, the Distagon T* 3.5/18 uses the Zeiss ‘color matching technology’, which provides homogeneous colour rendition across all focal lengths in the product range. The front filter diameter of 82 mm allows for use of standard screw-in filters when combined with the included lens shade.
In addition to the outstanding optical qualities, the special hallmarks of all Zeiss lenses are designed into the Distagon T* 3.5/18. This includes an all-metal mount for secure mounting to the camera, extreme robustness for professional applications in a wide range of conditions and precision workmanship, which result in a ‘silky’ smooth focus rotation.
The Distagon T* 3.5/18 ZF for F-mount cameras is scheduled for delivery beginning July 2008 through authorized Carl Zeiss photo dealers. The Distagon T* 3.5/18 ZK for K-mount cameras will be available within Q3/2008. The suggested list price is 960,00 Euro (without VAT) and includes the standard lens shade.
Carl Zeiss Distagon T 3.5/18 technical specifications:
- Focal length: 18mm
- Aperture range: f/3.5 - f/22 (1/2 stop intervals)
- Number of elements/groups: 13/11
- Focusing range: 0.3 m (0.98 ft) - inf.
- Angular field* (diag./horiz./vert.): 99/90/67 °
- Coverage at close range: 44 x 29 cm (1.7 x 1.1")
- Image ratio at close range: 1:12
- Filter-thread: M 82 x 0.75
- Length (with caps)**: 84 mm (3.3in)
- Diameter: 87 mm (3.4in)
- Weight: 470 g (16 oz.)
- Camera mounts: ZF (F bayonet), ZK (K bayonet)
- Scope of delivery: Lens Shade included
For more information about this new lens, please visit the Carl Zeiss website.
Add your message
428 MTF tests
74 in-depth photodo reviews
100+ users join each day
Help the lens community by reviewing or rating a lens today via our lens search
- Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L III USM Review
- Samyang Premium MF 85mm f/1.2 Review
- Samyang Premium MF 14mm f/2.4 Review
- Zeiss Milvus 18mm f/2.8 Review
- Zeiss Milvus 135mm f/2.0 Review
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Review
- Zeiss Milvus 15mm f/2.8 Review
- Meike 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye Lens Review
- Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Review
- Irix 15mm f/2.4 Review