Long range photography

By: Huw 4908 days ago
I'm new to photography and just managed to get hold of a Canon 70-200mm L series lens.
Would I be better off getting a 1.4x or 2x converter for this lens for wild life photography or saving up for a dedicated high power lens like the sigma 170-500 or 50-500.
By: johnriley 4908 days ago
Converters take the edge off lens performance, but a good one will be useable and allow you to try out wildlife for a modest outlay.

If the bug bites, then you could go for the longer lenses later.

In 35mm terms I think you probably need at least 400mm, so that means for APS-C sized sensors probably 300mm (450mm equiv). In fact, for much wildlife this is only barely adequate.


Add your message

Login required
Please login here or if you've not registered, you can register here. Registering is safe, quick and free.

photodo Stats

1102 lenses
428 MTF tests
74 in-depth        photodo reviews
100+ users join each day

Help the lens community by reviewing or rating a lens today via our lens search