How do I choose?
Choosing which lens is best for you can be a mind boggling task. The list of different manufacturers and specifications can seem never ending.
Independents or camera manufacturer’s own?
There are lenses available by third party manufacturers, such as Sigma, Tamron and Tokina, who offer similarly specified lenses at a fraction of the price of those made by camera companies. Often third party lenses aren’t quite as good at some things as the professional camera manufacturers’ lenses, such as resolution or build quality, but will offer a viable alternative for those without an endless budget. Use the lens reviews section of Photodo to compare how well each lens performs, and whether one lens is worth paying more for than another.
Prime or zoom?
Choosing a fixed or a zoom lens depends entirely on your requirements. Zoom lenses are popular because they allow you to recompose your shot in seconds, and will generally do the job of three or more fixed lenses without the bulk. On the other hand prime lenses tend to have higher optical quality and brighter maximum apertures than zooms so are the preferred choice for low light and action photography.
i am newly born kid in this camera world please tell me wich camera and lense to start as a photographer i live in india near banglore
Regarding the lens, without a doubt the 50mm. As to the camera, entirely your choice. However I might suggest a manual camera so that you can learn about exposure. I also just noticed you wrote 445 days ago. By now you should have learned about exposure. Right?
Add your message
428 MTF tests
74 in-depth photodo reviews
100+ users join each day
Help the lens community by reviewing or rating a lens today via our lens search
- Nikon AF-S 105mm f/2.8G ED IF VR Micro Lens
- Canon EF 200mm f/2L IS USM Lens Review
- Canon EF 135mm f/2L USM Lens Review
- Canon EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM Lens Review
- Pentax HD PENTAX-DA 40mm f/2.8 Limited Lens Review
- Voigtlander 42.5mm f/0.95 Nokton Lens Review
- HD PENTAX-DA 21mm f/3.2 AL Limited Lens Review
- Voigtlander 28mm f/2.8 Color Skopar SL II SLR Lens Review
- Pentax 07 Mount Shield Lens For Q Review
- Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens Review